My life, a naked woman, and Shepherd's Pie.

Naked woman calls me: an odd request for help in the COVID 19 crisis.



She lives three doors away from me.  I'll call her Trish (not her real name).

Trish is an English woman.  She is, let us say, a wee bit unfocused (a.k.a. "ditsy").

She 'phoned yesterday and here is her message " I was wondering what the (fix?) mark on an English stove on the top, and I have no
clothes.  I'd appreciate it if you would call me and let me know, I am trying to do the shepherd's pie"

I returned her call twice only to get her answering service.  Then she called me back.

Turns out that she had bought a packet of Shepherd's Pie seasonings. The recipe called for cooking the pie at "Regulo 7".

My friend was asking what was the American equivalent in degrees Fahrenheit for Regulo 7.

I hadn't the foggiest notion. I'd  forgotten all I ever didn't  know about regulo settings. 

I advised her "you can't go wrong with almost anything if you cook it at 350 F"

But what an odd call!  And why would anyone cook whilst stark nekkid!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 FYI





Gas Mark


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
The Gas Mark is a temperature scale used on gas ovens and cookers in the United KingdomIreland and some Commonwealth of Nations countries.

History[edit]

The draft 2003 edition of the Oxford English Dictionary lists the earliest known usage of the concept as being in L. Chatterton's book Modern Cookery published in 1943: "Afternoon tea scones… Time: 20 minutes. Temperature: Gas, Regulo Mark 7". "Regulo" was a type of gas regulator used by a manufacturer of cookers; however, the scale has now become universal, and the word Regulo is rarely used.
The term "gas mark" was a subject of the joint BBC/OED production Balderdash and Piffle, in May 2005. The earliest printed evidence of use of "gas mark" (with no other terms between the two words) appears to date from 1958.[1] However, the manufacturers of the "New World" gas ranges in the mid-1930s gave away recipe books for use with their cooker, and the "Regulo" was the gas regulator.[2] The book has no reference to degrees. All dishes to be cooked are noted to be at "Regulo Mark X".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"