Who In The World Was Edna Lewis?

Perhaps it's because we all live in our own discrete bubbles.  

Perhaps it's because she was a woman.

Perhaps it's because she was African-American.

Perhaps, perhaps;  but to my shame,  I had never heard of the great Edna Lewis until last Sunday.







I heard about her because one of my very favourite Public Radio programmes is "The Splendid Table",  hosted by Francis Lam.

The programme plays on the Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota public radio station ( WUSF ) on Sunday afternoons.  I try not to miss it.

Last Sunday the programme was dedicated to the late and great  Edna Lewis.  You will find it worth your while to listen to it here.

https://www.splendidtable.org/episode/668

What a good programme;  and what a great woman.

Because Edna Lewis was one of the greats,  do take an hour to listen to the programme

How I wish that I had known more about her. 

I cherish a silly thought that "if only I had met her".

BUT  Perhaps it's because we all live in our own discrete bubbles; 
Perhaps it's because she was a woman. Perhaps it's because she was African-American. Perhaps, perhaps, but to my shame,  I had never heard of the great Edna Lewis until last Sunday.


Please read more about her here:

https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/edna-lewis













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"