A wee Hurrah for Florida, Voting, and the Sarasota County Supervisor of Elections.



I registered to vote in Massachusetts the day after I became an American Citizen, way back in 1984.

I voted in every election there between 1984 and 2006, save for one Primary election vote which I somehow missed.

Way back then voting by mail (or absentee voting) was unusual. In Massachusetts it was necessary to request an absentee ballot (for good reason). at each and every election.

I did so but once when I was to be in the U.K. on Election Day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I moved to Florida in June 2006.  I had been here for just a week or two when I registered to vote here.

I have prided myself by voting  in person each and every time.  I love lining up with my neighbours at my local voting precinct.

BUT THIS YEAR seems different.

In Florida we have a Primary election on August 18th; and the General election on November 3rd.

We also have rampant COVID 19 infections.

With COVID 19 in mind I wonder if we will have fewer staffed Precincts in August and/or November. Will it be more difficult to vote in person?

There is good news!

Even though Florida is a blue leaning (i.e. Republican Party favouring) State we've had Voting By Mail since 2002.  

Put that in your pipe and smoke it Pres.Trump.  Even though you assert that voting by mail is open to massive fraud, the State in which you are registered to vote is all in favour of voting by mail  (miawo!)


With all that in mind  ( especially the uncertainties caused by COVID 19   This morning  I registered to vote by mail.

Here is the great news. The staff member  at the office of the Sarasota Supervisor of Elections  (Ron Turner) could not have been efficient, graceful or helpful.

GOOD GOVERNMENT WORKS!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"