The Visitor

This juvenile Ibis  (I think) set up shop immediately outside my Lanai yesterday afternoon ( 15th July 2020).

She/he remained there for two hours, sometimes looking in at me, and sometimes taking a few steps  - elegant and awkward at the same time.

Of course I talked to her/him.





=============================================

Some months ago I would often see a gaggle of birds on the grass at the south end of Nathan Benderson Park.

Always in a group, scurrying, pecking.   Too far away to photograph; and skittish when I tried to draw nearer.

I had no idea of their identity until I was listening to the radio programme "Living On Earth".


A guest described them as "like a football with a thin neck, and a small head".  Then I knew!

I had been looking at Guinea Fowl.



They are greatly to be prized for pest control, and are voracious eaters of ticks.ck.

They love to be in groups.   In the case of the radio programme guest she lost five or six of them to predators, leaving just one -  who did not know what to do when separated from her/his flock.  She found a new home for the lonely fowl with others of its ilk.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"