Comet Hale-Bopp (1996/7) (Spectacular) : The Great Conjunction 2020 (Awesome)

It was in 1996/7 that Comet Hale-Bopp passed through the skies. Some family members were visiting me in Pittsfield, MA and we agreed that the transit of the Comet was spectacular. Hale-Bopp became a celestial friend. We missed it when it moved away after many days.



Yesterday I was able to view the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn. There is not a photograph which does it justice. It was not spectacular; rather it was awesome. My awe was rooted in the knowledge that I was viewing a celestial brightness which humans had not seen for nearly 800 years.

(Paul Dellegato a weather forecaster from News 13 Tampa) puts it this way.)

"As expected I had a bunch of emails/messages telling me it was a big letdown. I made a post last night reminding everyone that Jupiter and Saturn were not going to join to become one massive bright star. Visually, a very bright Mars this summer was more impressive. A Flyover of the Space Station is really cool. I have seen the Northern Lights and they were 10000 x more impressive than this. However, sometimes you have to appreciate the simpleness and the rarity of an event. Not since 1623 has there been a “great conjunction” this close and not since 1226 has such a sight been easily observable and in a post-sunset sky—almost 800 years ago! That in itself is pretty cool and worth admiring!"

Amen Paul!

I had that sense of awe as I witnessed the Great Conjunction. It reminded me that we humans believe ourselves to be the centers and masters of everything until the celestial skies correct us, and remind us  that we are merely (star) dust in an infinite universe.

William Shakespeare knew this well:

.Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.’

(Macbeth Act 5, Scene 5)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"