The Sound of Silence in the Supermarkets

 


The universe has been good!  At least in Sarasota, and probably elsewhere, the supermarkets did not start blaring Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving. In truth there has been no music whatsoever. Was this a new marketing ploy; or was it a response to the sombre mood of much of the nation.

There was one exception in greater Sarasota. Fresh Market decided to assault our ears.  I heard a bland version of that tedious song "The Twelve Days of Christmas" being blared inside and out, by unimaginative soloists  -  you might well  call them "The Stepford Duet".

Some of you know that I live very quietly in my home.  I never watch T.V.  (The most recent time I was glued to the screen was when Hurricane Irma was approaching).  I listen to the wireless only when I am in my car.

I like the silence.  But to be sure I have been Christmas music deprived this year. Mea Culpa.

So now, since we are still in Christmas, I offer you three of my favourite bits of Christmas music:  From Germany, France, and Spain


Jauchzet frohlocket  (J. S. Bach)

https://youtu.be/MVewzMm1uts


The Shepherds' Farewell   (Hector Berlioz)

https://youtu.be/TGBTNlbRbeM


Zum Zum Zum  (Catalan traditional) 

https://youtu.be/zD9GzyWVums


ENJOY!    or otherwise.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"