Logy and Putzing

I’ve been feeling quite logy today (my blood pressure shot up), so I have been putzing around.

Apart from a quick visit to say “hi” to Ben, and to get some juice at the market, I have stayed at home.

I slept a lot.

I had time for inner reflection, and that was revelatory.

I wonder why I am often so prickly, so defensive.

And I set that alongside my “public” cheerful and funny self, and my habit of being spontaneously generous.



It is so odd to be human. Odd, I think, in the sense of our self and world awareness; and of our self critique.

Maybe the cats have it better, but I am not sure if they appreciate Beethoven!

My minor activities (cleaning the cats’ litter boxes; washing some sheer curtains; doing some ironing) left me quite tired, so it’ll be an early night, dosed up with a sleeping pill.

I seem to remember that we used “logy” in England. I am not so sure about “putzing”

So I looked up “logy” and “putzing” in an internet dictionary. (See below).

The origin of “logy” did not surprise me.

However I was intrigued by the (possible) Yiddish origin of “putz”/ “pots”.




lo•gy (l g )
adj. lo•gi•er, lo•gi•est
Characterized by lethargy; sluggish.
________________________________________
[Perhaps from Dutch log, heavy or variant of English loggy, heavy, sluggish, from log1.]



putz (p ts)
n.
1. Slang A fool; an idiot.
2. Vulgar Slang A penis.
intr.v. putzed, putz•ing, putz•es Slang
To behave in an idle manner; putter.
________________________________________
[Yiddish pots, penis, fool.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"