Tuesday, 14 April 2009

'Tis a gift to be simple

It has been raining today:




Sometimes with a heavy and drenching rain. At other times with a gentle and soft rain.

It’s a big deal. The land is so dry. We need days and days of rain, but this is a good start. Folks are so happy with the rain.

Living in a drought stricken region makes most of us us long for rain.

And it reminds me of those Psalms which rejoice when the early and later rains come to parched earth.

A thunderstorm has lingered over our area for hours. This is good.

And merciful Lord be praised, Penny is not a bit afrighted by thunder and lightning.

I stretched out on my sofa for a mid-afternoon nap.

I could hear the gentle rain.

Thunder rumbled in the distance.

My two chiming clocks added their comforting tick-tocks.

I felt so much at peace, so very comforted.

The radio and T.V. were off (they almost always are).


These lovely sounds – rain, thunder, and clocks were all I needed.


The animals added their benediction. Ada asleep. My lovely Adelaide, posing for her portrait. And Penny – alert as ever.



“’Tis a gift to be simple”.














1 comment:

  1. I can almost feel the peacefulness just reading your description.

    And the presence of animals always adds a certain comfort to a rainy afternoon (or any other time, really). I could watch my cats sleep, play, stretch, and chase each other all day long. Alas, I have to go to work! :)

    ReplyDelete