Ybor City



 Columbia  Restaurant, Ybor City


You may remember that in an earlier blog entry I wrote about a book titled “Ybor City Chronicles” by Ferdie Pacheo. 

Ybor City was the heart and soul of a vital Cuban/Spanish/Italian community from circa 1900 to circa 1950. In those years Ybor City was famous for its hand rolled cigars.

The book is a tender and affectionate account of Ferdie’s upbringing in Ybor City (a district of Tampa, FL) between the years 1935 – 1945.

In my earlier blog entry I remarked that the book made me wistful for a place and time which I never knew.  

At the heart of that place was the Columbia Restaurant, est 1905.

Here is the Columbia Restaurant story.

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/ourstory.asp

After reading Pacheo’s book I became determined to travel the 60+ miles from Sarasota to Tampa and to dine at the Columbia.

We have a branch of the Columbia in Sarasota – it was established in the 1950’s and claims to be the oldest continually serving restaurant here – but I wanted to eat at the “mother ship” in Ybor City, Tampa.

This I did Thursday 8th April with my friends Ben, Bob and Ed.  We had a 3:30 p.m. “very late lunch”.  I was enchanted with the whole place.

We ate in the Patio Dining Room.  I had a cup of excellent Gazpacho and a “Cuban”.

I’ve seen advertisements for “Cubans” ever since I arrived in Florida back in 2006.  But I’d had no idea about what they are.

Since I was at this centre of more than 100 years of Cuban/American culture, it was the right time and place for my first Cuban.  It was  good!

See http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Sandwiches/CubanSandwich.htm




 Columbia Restaurant at night



Bar area




Patio Dining Room where we had lunch


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"