With a voice of singing


I first began to sing some 60 years ago as a little boy at Greenbank Infants’ School on Bristol, U.K.   

A bit later I began to enjoy singing between the ages of 9 and 11 at Eastville Junior Mixed School.

Then I learned to sing, first as a treble and then as a baritone at Fairfield Grammar School (1955-1960).

In my Priestly ministry I used my strong voice to “bring out” congregational singing in Fitchburg, Chicopee, Pittsfield and Cambridge (each town in Massachusetts).

Note that I said “my strong voice”.  Mine is not a great voice, but it is able to keep tune and have a powerful volume.

I’ve not sung in a choir on a regular basis since those FGS days (1955-1960).  

 True enough I have been a pinch hitter in each of those four congregations, but I’ve never had a sustained commitment to choral singing.  

 (I’ve always believed that my sight reading is poor, so I have shied away from joining local choral groups).

With the gracious encouragement of Seth Wertz, Director of Music at St. Boniface Church, Siesta Kay, FL, I have joined the summer choir there.

I sang with the choir this morning.  We rehearsed at 8:00 a.m. for a 9:00 a.m. service.  My sight reading was better than I’d thought, but I still have a problem with timing.

Despite this, I felt privileged and blessed to be singing again.  It felt so very wonderful to be part of a choir.

As I sang I thanked Mr. W.J. Richards, Music Master at Fairfield Grammar School for introducing me to the joys of choral music all those years ago.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"