Cousins, food and the world.


 From FaceBook
 
My Staten Island, N.Y.  cousin, Michael Altini writes:  “I love eating. If the food is not up to spec, I get very angry, pay and leave. I know I can make half the stuff better”
My Bristol, U.K cousin, Chris Finch writes : “Diet News - Day 21. Half a pound down takes me 2 away from my target in 3 days . Who's that skinny guy in the mirror?”

From me:
1.      Hey Michael, I am with you.  I rarely get truly excited about restaurant food.  It is so often either poorly cooked and presented, or over-priced.  I much prefer my home cooked foods – e.g. the roasted parsnips, carrots, onions, and peppers which I just scoffed down.

2.      Hey Chris, I am with you, but I have taken a slower route.  Back in January I saw a 203 lbs (14+ stone) person in the mirror.  Today that mirror shows a 158 lbs (11+ stone) Michael Povey.  I have lost about 3 stones (say 42 lbs).  I love the slimmer me.

My route to “slimnitude” has been (a) exercise (I walk about 5 miles each day, thanks to my dog!); 

and (b) diet (no snacks, very little red meat, and lots of fruit, fish and vegetables).


To all    

This business of food and diet is very much a western privilege.  We cannot talk about the foods we enjoy, and the lbs we have lost without also thinking about the billions of humans whose diet is subsistence, or less.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"