Curmudgeon - YES/ OUI, Young man - NO/ NON


I become entirely “curmudgeonly” in supermarkets.  There are reasons for this!

1.      The foods which I think should be in Aisle 6 are inevitably to be found in Aisle 19. 

2.      I always get stuck at the slowest check-out.

3.      I often forget to get an item or two which is on my list.

4.      The person in front of me at the check-out always has some reason to slow things down.
Y’all know about this.  Y’all know the frustrations in supermarket shopping.
But wait --   there is more.  Here is the story.
At my local “Sweet Bay” supermarket (which I like very much, on account of the super selection of fresh vegetables, and good meats) there is a middle-aged and middle management employee who brings out my inner curmudgeon. This employee is the one who rushes in to open up a new aisle when the market is busy.
Grateful as I am for this, (his/her) words drive me crazy.  She/he is aged about 50 and inevitably addresses those of us who are waiting in line as “young man” or “young lady”; whatever our age.
I am not a “young man”.  I am a perfectly contented 66 year old adult.  It does not flatter me to be addressed as “young man”.  In fact I hear it as patronising.

So when this clerk/cashier addressed me as “young man” just a few days ago, I bristled. 

Then I sought out the store manager and registered my complaint. He promised to deal with it.

I am sure that you will now agree that I am a “curmudgeon per-excellence”.

I’d rather be a curmudgeon than a “young man”.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"