9/11


On Sep 11th 2001, I shared in the almost universal sense of shock and horror. It was a bad day, with bad deeds, done by bad people.

Within my sense of shock and horror I had a hope. It was that our people would observe "shiva" the Jewish ...period of mourning after a death. I had hoped that we would spend 8 days in grief before we faced the new reality.

Sadly the Presidential response encouraged us to go out shopping, and to take vengeance on Iraq before we had a chance to grieve and mourn.

This meant that the "White House et al" in 2001 never left space for grief.

There is a hole in the American soul, for our broken-heartedness was instantly politicized by the White House.

That's why I am so conflicted each Sep 11th.  And it’s why I am on my way to a Christian/Jewish/Muslim Prayer service at Sarasota’s First Presbyterian Church this evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"