Randall Thompson - Alleluia

The choir at my parish Church  (St. Boniface, Siesta Key, Sarasota, FL) sang the amazing "Alleluia" by Randall Thompson at the 9:00a.m. Eucharist today.


It was such a joy to be "bathed" in this gorgeous music.  I wanted to be singing with the choir, but as the Presider at this morning's liturgy it was much better that I was simply able to allow the music to "speak" to me and to refresh my soul and spirit.


I congratulate our musician Seth Wertz and the choir for enabling such beauty.


Thompson's Alleluia was a "party piece" for the choir at St. Stephen's in Pittsfield, MA, where I was Rector from 1984-2000.  It was there that I first heard it and began to appreciate it.


Thus it was a gift from St. Stephen's for me.  So as the St. Boniface Choir sang this morning my mind and heart went back to my years in Pittsfield  ( indeed the best [for me] years of my various parish ministries). 


Thanks be to G-d for music, for Randall Thompson, for Church Choirs, for St. Stephen's Pittsfield, and now for St. Boniface Church here in Sarasota.




Here's a bit about Randall Thompson.


http://harvardmagazine.com/2001/07/randall-thompson.html#

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"