Kipps

When I was in Grammar School 1955 – 1960 in Bristol U.K. (High School in American terminology) I was asked (required) to read many books. 

I was never impressed with the novels of Charles Dickens or Jane Austen which were “required reading”.

I enjoyed Jerome K Jerome’s “Three Men in a Boat”, and I well remember a book entitled “Sweet Thames Run Softly” - (I have forgotten the author).

One of my schoolboy favourites was “Kipps” by H.G.Wells.  (It is the book which engendered the song “half a sixpence”).

I suspect that I enjoyed “Kipps” because of the skill and wisdom of the school teacher who “led us through the book”.

To my surprise I discovered today that I own a copy of “Kipps”.  It’s been sleeping in my modest library.

So I have begun to read the book again (some 52 years on).  I have once again been enchanted by “Kipps”.  It’s a good tale. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"