Normality or Normalcy

Back in about 1978 my dear Ruth Card used the word “normalcy”.   I spluttered and said “there is no such word”.   Ruth opened up her Webster’s Dictionary and showed me the entry for “normalcy”.  

I was only half convinced, for my British heritage assured me that the correct usage is “normality”.

Usage aside, I experienced normality at St. Boniface Church on Siesta Key FL today. Most of the congregation experienced normalcy!

We did not expect this.

For it was the first Sunday since the retirement of the beloved and long serving Rector at St. B’s, the Revd. Ted Copland.  

Many of us expected a lower than low attendance on this first Sunday “sans Ted”, but we were delightfully proven wrong. 

It was a Sunday of normality/normalcy with a splendid attendance.

 I was privileged to preside at the 10:00 a.m. Eucharist.  St. B’s trusty assistant minister, my dear sister Andrea Taylor preached a cracker-jack and challenging sermon on forgiveness.  

Andi and I love working together, never more than in this time of transition at St. B’s at this time of normality.

And so it goes! 

On a personal note -  I am so grateful for Ted Copland.  And I am more than grateful that I can be a servant of God’s people at St. B’s,  and minister with my beloved Andi Taylor during this transitional time of normalcy/normality.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"