Prayer and silence

“Let thy soul walk soft within thee,
as a saint in heaven unshod.
For to be alone in silence
is to be alone with God"


At some other time I told the Rector of a parish that I would not be attending a pot-luck supper because I didn't want a “certain person" to sit near to me.  I offered “no names, and no pack drills".

That Rector immediately offered a name.  He was “spot on".

It's not that I dislike the person.  But she has an annoying habit of breaking in to others' conversations without invitation;  and of trying to dominate the conversation with her “wisdom".

I can sometimes “put up with her" (for indeed I am sometimes like her!), but on that particular day I was bereft of patience and did not want her insistent company.

Maybe God is like that with our prayers.  Maybe God sometimes wants us to shut up; not to interrupt, and not to dominate the conversation.

Do you think that God would sometimes like to get a word in edgewise?  Do you suppose that God would sometimes wish that we would simply listen?

Tomorrow  “If we listened how might we hear, and what would we hear?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"