And like a good neighbour (3)



“As I walked out....” is the title of a wonderful book by Laurie Lee, an author who was born in Stroud, Glos, U.K. and raised in nearby Slad, Glos.

Laurie Lee is also the author of a fabulous memoir “Cider with Rosie”. It’s a must read.

As I (jmp) walked out with my fabulous dog (Penne) a couple of nights ago we encountered my neighbour Edie and her miniature poodle “Lady”.  Joining them was another neighbour Randi, who is a dog trainer and has three most gorgeous sheep dogs, which were not with her the other night.

Our paths often cross, but we chat at a distance, knowing that Penne is skittish around other dogs (except her boy-friend “Basil” a lovely Shar-pei, and her new friend “Chardonnay” a gorgeous golden retriever).

On this occasion Edie extended Lady’s leash, so much so that Lady got very close to Penne.

A scuffle ensued.

After just a few seconds poor Lady ran whimpering back to her “Mom” -  my Penne had bitten her.

 I felt so badly about this, even though Edie immediately said “it’s my fault; I let her get too close”.

The bite was not severe, but it punctured Lady’s skin which began to bleed.

The next morning I stopped by Edie’s home, to check on Lady and to give Edie some flowers as an expression of my regret.  Lady was just fine.

Later in the day I received this e-mail:

Hi,
Lady loves the flowers.
Thank you for your thoughtfulness.
Tell Penny we understand she was just being a dog.
Love
Edie

 How lovely. Neighbours can be neighbourly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"