Dave Macy - a "hero" of mine in Maine


A few years ago I traveled up to the Island of North Haven ME (in the Penobscot Bay).

(see  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Haven,_Maine)

I was there to preach and to  celebrate the Eucharist at the one and only church on this small and isolated island.

I was a guest of my friends Fred and Diana Emrich who spend half of the year on the island, and the other half on Longboat Key, FL.

It was a lovely weekend.  North Haven ME is a beautiful place.

But I could never live there (or on any small island).

I love the bustle of cities. I am glad to have three supermarkets, two post offices, and four banks within a mile of my home in SRQ.

It’s cool to live a twenty minute drive away from the SRQ airport, and no more than seventy minutes away from a larger airport (TPA in Tampa).

And I am less than a twenty minute drive away from our opera House, our Van Wezel performing arts centre, the fabulous Ringling Museums, and seven theatres.

All of this, and scores of restaurants – many scores!

Here in SRQ we also can listen to the twin public radio stations – WUSF and WSMR.

WUSF is largely talk, with a good supply of news and commentary from the BBC in London, some programming from Canada, and all night jazz.

WSMR is a twenty four hour classical music station.

-------------------------------

‘Tain’t so up on North Haven where there is but one Church, a couple of stores and may two or three restaurants.

The nearest supermarket is on the mainland, and you get there on a 75 minute ferry ride.

--------------------------------------------------------

The one Church on North Haven has a fabulous pastor named Dave Macy.  I met Dave and his wife on my visit to the Island.

One of the lifelines on North Haven is the Maine Public Broadcasting Network.  It has offered a rich menu of news, classical music and jazz.

Sadly MPBN has decided to change its format, away from music and towards “talk/prattle/chatter”.

Of this decision Dave Macy wrote:

“MPBN: Replacing the timeless with the ephemeral since 2012”

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh dear David, even from my place of privilege in SRQ I am “with you”.

So much of our culture is obsessed with the ephemeral rather than with the timeless

------------------------------------------------------------


So I ask my dear readers:

 “what parts of your lives are rooted in the ephemeral? “,

and

“what parts of your lives rejoice in the timeless?” .

-----------------------------------------------

Please post your responses to this blog, or on Facebook

Comments

  1. When you are young you rejoice in a life that seems timeless but with age comes the understanding that it's ephemeral. Which means the older you get the more cantankerous and impatient you become!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"