Arithmetic ..... and Duty

1. Arithmetic.

Dear JMP

Please remember that 725 - 100 = 625  (not 525).

That being noted, you now know why when balancing your check/cheque book there was a $100 discrepancy.

Be grateful that the error was in your favour.

Yours faithfully,

JMP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Duty.

I have been called for Jury service at the Sarasota FL Superior Court next Monday. In truth I welcome this opportunity for civic duty. It's better to be in a Country where trials are heard before a Jury of one's peers than to be in a land in which Judges make decisions without "lay" input.

I have such mixed feelings about this: (a)  I want to do my duty  (b)  I want to have good care for my darling dog. 

My usual dog-care friends cannot take care of Penne on Monday:-  R and C are dog-sitting another pooch,  R and L will be in South Carolina.

My neighbour B has promised to stop by a couple of times next Monday to assure Penne that she has not been abandoned, and to take her out for pee walks.

If I am not empanelled B's care for Penne will be for no more than 8-9 hours on Monday. 

If I am empaneled the likelihood is that it will be for a one day trial.

In the meantime I have two reasons to hope that I will be released.

For on Tuesday morning I have an appointment with an Ocular Surgeon/Plastic Surgeon to consult about a growth on my lower left eyelid.  (Noble reason).

And on Tuesday afternoon my new Bowling League has its first match.  (Ignoble reason)

On the whole I will be honoured as a proud U.S. Citizen if I am empanelled.

* ( I was called twice in Pittsfield MA, and once on Cambridge MA, but I was not needed for Jury service in these three calls).

**  (It used to be the case that Clerics were automatically exempted from Jury service. That exemption was rightly abandoned some 25 years ago)

***  ( When I reach the grand old age of 70 (May 26th 2014) I will be allowed to refuse Jury Service on the grounds of age).





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"