Deeply aware of the shortness and uncertainty of human life

The words "Deeply aware of the shortness and uncertainty of human life" are to be found in the American Book of Common Prayer (and most likely in many other Anglican Prayer Books).

Those words come to us from the 17th Century (when life was often brief, and always uncertain).

They were penned by one Jeremy Taylor (1613-1667) who was at one time Bishop of the  Irish (Anglican) Bishop of Down, Connor and Dromore. 

(By a neat coincidence my seminary classmate Harold Miller has been the Bishop there since 1997)

But I have digressed (so what is new? you ask).

I go back to being "Deeply aware of the shortness and uncertainty of human life".

Catherine W is a woman I have known since 2006 when I moved to Sarasota. She is lively and knowledgeable, and skilled in just about every endeavor to which she turned.

Catherine moved into my local community (Glen Oaks Ridge, SRQ) last year, to a condo about 300 yards from mine.  

She transformed one of our rather boring condominiums into  a home of great beauty.

I was a guest on New Year's Day (2014) at  fabulous brunch hosted by Catherine.  Her hospitality was fabulous, the food was great, and her other guests were both congenial and delightful.

Her party was a wonderful way by which to begin a New Year.

Today we became deeply aware of the shortness and uncertainty of human life.  For our dear Catherine died yesterday Jan 7th 2014  (or today - Jan 8th 2014).

All I know is that she was found in her bed this morning, (Jan 8th) having fled this human life.

Damn, I cannot comprehend this.

But it is another reminder of the shortness and uncertainty of human life  - a reminder that make me so sad (and makes me angry).

I am not using Catherine's full name 'cause I am not sure that all her children and grandchildren have heard of her death.

But "dammit" I will miss her so much.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"