Preaching again - but who wll give a rat's ass about what I say.

I will be preaching this Sunday at the 7:45 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. Eucharists at St. Boniface Church on Siesta Key in Sarasota FL.

This is my first Sunday gig since May 2014.

I will preach from the assigned passages (Ezekiel 34:11-24 and Matthew 25:31-46).

I've been studying and musing on the passages and on the sermon possibilities for at least three weeks.

I began to craft the sermon today, using the notes which I've made in recent weeks.  It's taken me about half an hour to craft each paragraph, after which I've taken a break to walk with my dog, or to eat, or to nap. So it's been a whole day effort.

Now I have a full text. It is very far short of a C- marking.  So I will spend much of Friday, and some time on Saturday to try to bring it up to a B, or maybe a B+.

I fear that it could be nothing more than a gentle rant,  rooted in my religious hobby-horses.

So I am trying hard to craft something which is cogent, and is also faithful to the bible passages and to the traditions of the Church. 

It's all hard work (maybe one hour of study and reflection for each minute of the sermon).

By Sunday morning it will be in the lap of the gods.

It will be too late to make changes, so I will trust the one HOLY GOD to take my stammering words and use them to edify (build up) the St. Boniface congregation.

----------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand I am wise enough not to fret, nor to con myself into believing that my sermon will be "life changing" or vitally important.

I know this from my own experience.  Last Monday I underwent an endoscopy, thanks to  the training, education and experience of my gastroenterologist Dr. Constantine M.

When I left the hospital I was given strict instructions not to drink coffee for 24 hours.

Guess what?    Just as soon as I got home I made and drank a cup of coffee!

Since I was all to ready to ignore the strictures of my well educated, wise, and experienced  gastroenterologist, why do I imagine that anyone will give a rat's ass about my well educated, wise and experienced sermon!

But like Dr. M.  I will give it my best.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the good news. I look forward to the sermon on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"