Adieu to my neighbour Edythe

Some of you will remember my tales about my neighbour Edythe T.  We share a driveway, and our car ports are undivided.

Edythe had a history of being mean and nasty to all and sundry, including me.

In May 2014 at about 5:00 a.m., I discovered her, prone and hallucinating, in the driveway of another neighbour. She had been there all night.

I called 911 and she was transported to a local hospital.

Later that morning I called one of her brothers in Detroit (he is a retired Judge).to let him know what had happened to Edythe. 

He was not surprised. He told me that Edythe had changed her Doctor, and that the new Doctor was opposed to Librium, the very drug she had needed.

I had an "aha" moment. I came to understand that her mean and nasty behaviour arose from her mental illness.

I was on the cusp of my trip to England, so when I got back home I called the Judge for the latest on his sister.

In short, he told me that she was in a nursing home.  I promised to visit her, not because I cared for Edythe, but so that he and his two other brothers could be kept up to speed on her condition.

So it has been. I have visited Edythe about once a week since June 2014.

I have been her sole visitor. 

Believe it or not, we have become a wee bit fond of each other!

I saw her in the Nursing Home on Tuesday 20th Jan.  She was  bright and chipper.  She even sang (with a lovely contralto voice). The  Hospice care staff were with her, so my visit was cut short,

I visited again on Saturday 24th Jan,  This time she was "out of it", and incoherent.  I reported this to her brother the Judge.

He called me today. (Wednesday 28th Jan) to tell me that she had passed from this life.

I was not surprised,  I am glad for her.  Her remains will be cremated and returned Detroit for burial.

On Friday 30th Jan I will take my last drive to the Nursing Home in South Venice, FL to bring her personal belongings back go her home.

It's the least I can do.

======================================

Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, (children) ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40, Authorised/King James version of the bible.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"