Church today, and my family. Simon, Andrew, James, and John.

Here is the Gospel passage we read in Church today:

Mark 1:14-20

14Now after John (the Baptist) was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God, 15and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news.” 16As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the sea—for they were fishermen. 17And Jesus said to them, “Follow me and I will make you fish for people.” 18And immediately they left their nets and followed him. 19As he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in their boat mending the nets. 20Immediately he called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him.
 
My friend and colleague the Revd. Andi (Andrea) Taylor preached a fine sermon based on this passage.
 
But the names caught my imagination
 
I thought of some family members, and I prayed for them.  
 
1.  My nephew Simon Povey, his wife Abby, and their infant son Miles.
 
2.  My brother Andrew Povey and his wife Izzy  (Isobel).
 
3.  My great-nephew James Theobald, and his partner Zoe.
 
4. My sister Jean Thacker and her husband John.
 
What fun it was to see the names of four of my family members in the Gospel reading, and then to pray for them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"