English stiif upper lip (or an old fart).

I was in a store today, and when I got to the check-out the clerk (cashier) said "thank you sweetheart".

I bristled.

She was a pleasant young woman in her mid-twenties.

I am a seventy, going on seventy-one year old man.

Truly, whether I am an Englishman with a stiff upper lip (doubtful),  or an old fart  (probable) I do not wish to be called "sweetheart" by an utter stranger.

I responded to her words with a soft and gentle:  "please not sweetheart".

She immediately apologized.

I do not fault her.  I blame her employers who have been dilatory in their staff training.

In my opinion "thank you sir", or "thank you ma'am"  are perfectly adequate greetings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I an Englishman with a stiff upper lip (doubtful),  or am I an old fart  (probable)?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"