Curfew

William the Conqueror set a curfew (from the French couvre-feu or cover fire) at 8:00 p.m., which was widely adopted across medieval Europe. Though this was ostensibly imposed to prevent fires from catching while people slept, those who will have read "William I – 1066 "by Eleanor Farjeon will recall that it was more likely about preventing candlelit late-night public plotting. 

I hope that this is correct.  I "stole"it from a website some months ago.  ( I can't remember the name of the website!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
German imposed curfew in France, August 1944. (the month and year when my Uncle Albert was  killed in Normandy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"