I told my Pastor that he could not count on me

I am 72 1/2  years old and in good health.  But whatever way I look at it, these are the closing years of my life.  I am increasingly aware of my mortality, and that realisation is good.

So much so that my family is more important than my Church.  I want to savour family life for as long as is possible, even at the cost of goofing off from Church.

So I told my Pastor (Priest in Charge) that I could not be counted on for various "Ministries-in-Retirement" for six weeks, from the beginning of November until mid-December.

The two first weeks in November have seen the visit of my youngest sister Ruth, and her partner Dennis.

I was born in 1944 and Ruth in 1956.  We hardly knew each other as we were growing up. (When I started work at age 16 she was only 4 years old).

In adult years Ruth and I have developed a delightful friendship.

Thus it has been that Ruth, Dennis,  and I have delighted in so many adventures in the two weeks of their visit from Bristol, U.K.:-  (the Everglades, Mote Marine, the R.A.F. graves in Arcadia FL, the Kennedy Space Centre, Horse-back riding in the Myakka State Forest etc.,etc., -  and the list goes on).

We shared a tearful farewell at TPA this morning. As I write they are winging their way across the Atlantic from ATL to LHR. on a Virgin Atlantic flight

My home seems empty.  My cat and dog are sulking (truly!),    I wish that the damn plane would turn around and bring them back to SRQ!!!

--------------------------------------------

In just over two weeks Virgin Atlantic will fly my oldest sister Maureen,and her fabulous husband Bernard  from LGW to MCO.

They too will spend a fortnight with me, during which time we'll be off to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for five days.

------------------------------------------------

Such a blessing!  The visits of two sisters (+ spouses) inside two months.

 Seems better than Church eh?

.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"