A good day was had by all, a love affair, and another great hymn for this time of year.

Brother Andy and Sister in Law Izzy were at my home for a Thanksgiving Dinner.  They were joined by my friend and neighbour Ed Green.  A and I return to the U.K. tomorrow  (boo hoo!)






Izzy and Adelaide had a mutual love affair. Izzy also liked Andy.  Brother in Law Bernard, and Niece Beth will be envious. They were also sweet on Adelaide when they visited me from the U.K.

Thanksgiving Dinner (courtesy of Fresh Market) was excellent.  Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Corn Bread Soufflé (delicious), Green Beans with Bacon, Stuffing and Gravy were excellent  (better than I could have cooked) and without all the fuss and bother.  It was first glass, all I had to do was to heat it.

Of course I forgot to take photo's, all except for  the Fruit Tart (with a custardy sauce on a sort of short-bread base). Yum, Yum.

I eschewed the traditional Pumpkin Pie (which I don't particularly like) in favour of this tart.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil Page, the Former Director of Music at St. Boniface Church, in response to my posting about "We Gather Together", reminded me of the superb hymn for Thanksgiving (USA) or Harvest Thanksgiving (UK), (and other times).

It's a strong and vigorous  text by Fred Pratt Green (1930-2000) a Methodist Minister, who wrote 300 hymns in his retirement years.

(Note the strong rhyming e.g. "caring/despairing/sharing", and "astound us/confound us/ has found us")

The hymn is at its best when paired by the tune "East Acklam" an equally vigorous and strong tune  by Francis Jackson, (1917 - ), former Master of Music at York Minster.

Green was from Lancashire, Jackson is a Yorkshire-man.  The Battle of the Roses is over in this hymn and tune.


https://youtu.be/pZjppmwhdwc

recorded at Pershore Abbey, U.K.

Thanks Neil.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"