The sudden death of the Revd. Allan Rogers has left me reeling.

At about 8:30 this morning (3rd Feb) I and others received a text from the Revd. Ted Copland (former Rector at St. Boniface Church, Siesta Key, FL) with the news of the sudden death of Allan Rogers, a fabulous Deacon who served the parish so well.




---------------------------------------------------------------------
Later in the day I got this more official notice from the current Rector at St. Boniface.


It is with deep and profound sadness that we announce the death of our parish deacon and friend, The Rev. Allan Rogers.
Allan died suddenly and peacefully at his home Friday night, February 2, 2018.
He was ordained to the Sacred Order of Deacons on January 18, 2003, recently celebrating his fifteenth year of service at St. Boniface Church. 
Please pray for Allan as he goes from strength to strength in the nearer presence of God. Pray also for his family in their grief; his mother and father; his daughter Sandy and her spouse Rebecca, and his sisters Melinda and Rita. And pray for us.
Plans for a service to be held at St. Boniface Church will be announced.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Allan (aged about 68) was a faithful and passionate servant of the Lord Jesus, and of the Church.

He was devoted to his wife Holly, and stayed tenderly faithful to her throughout the the many long years of her affliction with M.S. (She died about five years ago.)

He was tenderly ardent in his love for his daughter Sandy and her spouse Rebecca.

Allan loved the Lord and the Lord's people.

And he was my good friend.

We'd get together every two or three weeks at his home or mine for a glass or two of Scotch (Allan), and a glass or two of wine (me).

We'd pour out our souls the one to the other,  about our faith, our hopes, our joys, and our disappointments.

It was a holy friendship.

When I had my first stent surgery (May 2017) Allan visited me in the hospital where I was confined overnight.

When I had my second stent day surgery (Jan 2018) Allan prayed with me the night before.


I loved and trusted Allan so much that (with his consent), I appointed him as the Executor of my Will, and as my health care Proxy,  with a durable power of Attorney. 

Those offices can be replaced by someone  else.

What cannot be replaced is the  tender friendship which accrued to my boon. 






Comments

  1. Michael, it was so sad to receive the notice yesterday. Allan was always so positive and wonderful even as he was coping with such difficulties. One gone too soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"