They lied to me in school


The sun never sets on the British Empire



Born in 1944 I began my formal education at Greenbank Infants School (east Bristol U.K.) in 1949.

From then until 1960 when I left school I learned some good stuff, but I was also taught some (well meaning?) lies.

For example, although India (now Bangladesh, India and Pakistan) were somewhat reluctantly granted independence in 1948 I was still taught that the British Empire was the greatest, noblest, munificent Empire there had ever been: the very soul of beneficence (and magnificence!)

I had to rid myself of such illusions in order to mature and seek wisdom.   In truth the British  Empire was exploitative, racist, white supremacist, greedy and cruel. It was designed to bring wealth to the homeland.

It was the Suez crisis (1956) which drove a nail into the coffin of the illusion of British greatness, and which indirectly led to the 1960's British policies of decolonization. We gave up an Empire not out of the goodness of British hearts, but out  of fiscal necessity.

As a Briton by heritage I've had to rid myself of the illusions I learned at School.

I now understand that the U.K. is no longer a world power, and that the British future rests in cooperation not in the illusion of greatness.  That's why I think that Brexit is, and will be disastrous. A go it alone Britain cannot be great again.

As an American by choice I have to rid myself of the illusion that our most important  task is to make America great again.

That begs the question  "when were we great?"

Thinker, Christian, and Quaker author Parker Palmer raised this question two years ago.  His article (below) raises the questions "What is Greatness", and "And how do we deal with our deceitful illusions?".

It's a long article.  Do take the time to read it with thought and prayer.

Thanks,

jmp




https://onbeing.org/blog/losing-our-illusions/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"