I've become one of those people who bothers and annoys you...........

.....when you are in a check out line in a the supermarket and the person at the front of the line can't get it right.



I was that person today.

I was trying to use the debit/credit card machine at a local market.

Attempt # 1  I removed the card before the clerk/cashier had processed the button on the till which indicates that the purchase is complete. 

Attempt # 2  All went well until when the screen asked me to confirm the amount I pressed "No" instead of "Yes".

Attempt # 3.  I pressed all the buttons with success, but removed the card too soon.

By this time I knew that I had been pegged as a decrepit old man! 

But the clerk/cashier (a smiling Mennonite/Amish young woman - I could tell by her head covering) had evidently learned to be graciously patient - probably through listening to long and dreary sermons from decrepit old preachers - was utterly patient with me.

Attempt # 4.  I took it very slowly and with a smile 

Hey Presto - fourth time a charm!

I turned to the clerk/cashier and her trainee, and to the four people in line behind me and said  (with a grin on my face) "I'm sorry, but I don't get out very often".

There were smiles and laughter all around.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"