My flood: A darned nuisance, but not a disaster.

It was Thursday last (23rd April)  that I noticed some grunge seeping at the floor level of a cabinet between my fridge and my oven.

I at first thought that I had created the mess by dropping some bit of food on the floor.

I swabbed it.  It came back.   I swabbed it again.  It came back again.

And the same on my third try.

A bit later I opened the cabinet in which I store my dog's kibble - fortunately as it happens in a plastic storage box - to find that the "floor" of the cabinet had caved in.  

Whereupon I called my trusty handyman who arrived on Friday morning before the great rains had set in.

He/we discovered that the line which brings water from the sink to the fridge had failed.

The bottom shelf of the cabinet  (vintage 1973 made of particle board)  had collapsed into mush because of the reservoir which had been  established in the hollow "plinth" on which the cabinet stood.

Oh my goodness.   Mush everywhere, and dry wall soaked as to be unusable.

"Mr. Handyman"  (who will remain anonymous) spent five Friday  hours repairing the water line, and clearing up the mess.

The cabinet was almost beyond repair, so at my suggestion he ripped it out.

We set out a fan to dry the wall and insulation.  He came back today to clear out the compromised wall board.

One day next week he will replace, prime, and paint the dry wall.

As for the cabinet -  I was all for buying a new one, but Mr. H wants to rebuild and renew the old one.

NOT A DISASTER, mostly because Mr Handyman is not only reliable, but he is also a skilled perfectionist.  His business card has this line  he is a Master Tinkerer: a bit like my brother in law John T in England.

So he is.  He has done all manner of jobs for me for a least ten years.  His rates are low.  We like each other very much.

What a "blessing".   When all is finished my kitchen will look better than ever.

A mild nuisance, but not a disaster.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"