SARASOTA impresses me

I Like Sarasota! $18 million + raised in 24 Hours!

Yes  $18 million + raised in 24 Hours!


The event was organised by the Community Foundation of Sarasota County, with (more than) matching funds from the Patterson Foundation.



The way it worked was this. Individuals could make donations  for any number of their chosen non profits, but only gifts of up to $100 were eligible for matching.

A $25 donation became $75; a $50 donation became $150; and a $100 donation became $300.

No chance for fat cats to make a name for themselves; but an opportunity for ordinary folks to make an unlimited number donations of up to $100,  for as many  different non-profits of their choosing.

The results were astounding.  Within twenty four  hours 59,000 donors had supported the effort, which benefited 687 recipients. A remarkable total of more than $18 million.

It made my heart glad to see that Sarasota's "All Faith Food Bank"  led the pack with a total of $621,000 from donations and matching dollars.  This Food Bank is the primary source of foodstuffs  for Food Pantries and for Children's feeding programmes.

I was also tickled pink to see that Sarasota's Humane Society (from where Zion rescued me) will receive $122,000 .

On a personal level I sent $50  (worth $150) to ALSO YOUTH the wonderful organisation for GLBT youth where Zion and I visit (in non social isolation days.  ALSO benefited overall  at just short of $45,000 .

And another $50 (worth $150)  to  the Sarasota's professional  CHORAL ARTISTS not because I have heard them sing; but because their Executive Director is a fabulous woman who I see and chat with every morning at Bayfront Park. Their donations amounted to $35,000 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"