A Festival of Tintinnabulation








n
I once owned four chiming clocks.  That made for a festival of  tintinnabulation. It also made for some tedious work in the spring and fall.   Springing forward is easy.  Falling back takes more time  -  one cannot simply retard chiming clocks by one hour; they must be advanced eleven hours or else the chiming mechanism is likely to go wack-a-doodle.

I had four; which is too much of a good thing

I gave two away,  another  (a wall clock) went crashing to the ground and was severely damaged.'Twas not a valuable antique, so I never had it repaired.

The survivor is pictured above, I think that I bought it some forty or so years back at J.C. Penney of all places.

It was silent for many years. A Sarasota friend asked me why, and I told him that the chiming mechanism was broken. The friend recommended a Clock Shop on Siesta Drive, Sarasota.  There I went to get an estimate for the cost of repairs.

The woman in charge took a look at the clock.  She grinned with a sweet but not pitying smile.  "The reason sir that your clock won't chime is that you have turned it so the silent mode".  

Now it's your turn to smile and mutter "dopey Povey".

The sounds of chiming clocks drives some people crazy.  I find them wonderfully comforting.

The clock has four settings:  Silent- Whittington - St. Michael's  (Charleston So. Carolina) - Westminster.

If my scrap of a video posts well you will hear a bit of the Whittington chime.

P.S.  When I lived in Cambridge MA I was carrying the clock under my arm to a clock cleaning and repair store located half a block from the Church.  Two thirty-something men walked towards me.  They paused.  One said "excuse me sir, do you have the right time?"!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"