It's Come to This: Old Man's Sandals with Velcro. (Gout and a Lord Chancellor of England)

 Yes, I am an old man despite what my mind deceives me into believing.

I can reckon with the age bit (I have no choice).

But old man's sandals - that's another story. 

Velcro fasteners?  They're  for really old men.



There is a story.  The point where the joint of my left big toe meets my foot  i.e. "bunion territory" is highly inflamed and painful.

So painful that on last Thursday night I woke myself up many times by yelling "ouch".  I bought the sandals today to relieve the pressure on my toe as I walk out with Zion. It helps.

Tylenol is helping with the pain.

I suspect that the toe is afflicted with gout.  Those who have or have had gout will testify as to the intensity of the pain.

I will see my Podiatrist and/or my P.C.P. as soon as possible next week.

Yesterday morning at Bayfront Park I chatted with an English couple I see most mornings.

The wife asked after my welfare, and I spoke about my probable gout. They expressed suitable sympathy.

I responded "on a world scale of suffering this is nothing.  But it's my left foot!" 

Here is the silly bit.  When I was a wee shaver of about six years of age, my mother kitted out my twin sister and I with sandals; worn with white ankle socks. 

Oh my goodness.  I hated sandals, thinking them to be footwear for girls alone.  

I have not worn sandals since then.

---------------------------------------------------------------



HISTORICAL QUOTATION

Quote Investigator: Robert Henley, Earl of Northington served as the Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain in the 1760s. In 1831 his grandson published a book about his prominent ancestor. Henley who died in 1772 sometimes experienced severe fits of gout, a form of inflammatory arthritis. His grandson reported the Earl’s remark about his legs. 1

When suffering from its effects, he was once overheard in the House of Lords to mutter after some painful walks between the Woolsack and the Bar, “If I had known that these legs were one day to carry a Chancellor, I’d have taken better care of them when I was a lad.”

Poor Lord Henley.   He couldn't buy old man's sandals; but he did have a fancy wig.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"