"Rhubarb. Rhubarb" plus "What a Load of Cobblers"

 It is alleged that in movies with a crowd scene in which the onlookers appear to be in animated conversation, they are in fact saying "Rhubarb, Rhubarb"  -  in the context words which make no sense, but give the appearance of a conversation.

Thus it is in the U.K.  if a Professor  or a Preacher is droning on and not making much sense someone is sure to say "sotto voce" Rhubarb, Rhubarb.

In like manner if a person recounts an experience (with exaggeration, or a shady regard to the truth); or tells an unlikely story the listener is wont to think, or to say "what a load of cobblers".

For the derivation of "what a load of cobblers"  please do your own research.  I am toe embarrassed to tell you here and now.  (Hah!).

These parts of my English heritage came together in my home today.



I made a Rhubarb Cobbler!

I like rhubarb, but it's often hard to come by. Fortunately my local "Farm Market"  (Detwilers) had some in stock today. They were the long and very thin stalks, more to be desired than the rhubarb which has grown thick.

I peeled it (rhubarb skin can be a bit stringy), and cut it into small bits for the cobbler.   G   O  O  D!

For British readers a cobbler is made by pouring the batter into a pie dish, and then spooning the fruit on top.  As the batter cooks and expands an "absorbs" the fruit.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"