Thursday, 24 July 2014

Bob and Fish and Chips

Bob lives in the neighbouring community of Glen Oaks Manor.

I see him often as he, in an electric wheel-chair, walks his (Airedale?) Terrier "Scout" around the pond. Bob has a very loud voice  (as I have previously noted, like the sound of a Corncrake).

Scout, an otherwise friendly dog, has taken a strong dislike to my Penne, so Bob and I have learned to maintain a safe distance.

'Twas about two months ago that Bob invited me out for lunch.  We went to our local "Alma's Kouzine", and enjoyed Alma's fabulous savoury crepes.

------------------------------------------------------------

Every now and then I get a craving for certain foods.  For instance, just a few days ago I wanted to tuck in to some good fish and chips.  My body and mind longed for this "British National Dish".

------------------------------------------------------------

Soon after my return from England I saw Bob one morning.  He yelled across the pond "call me, let's have lunch again".  I had hoped that our earlier lunch was a one-off affair, but I promised to 'phone him.  We set a date for lunch today.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Have I told you that Bob is a ninety-two year old WWII veteran, that he and his wife Lilian have been married for 67 years, that they have three children and numerous grand-children, and that he grew up in Dorchester MA where his father was an "Irish Cop" in the (predominately Irish)  Boston Police Department?  Indeed his Dad knew James Michael Curley!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Off we went to lunch today.  Bob suggested "Kacey's Sea Food and More" - a restaurant about two miles away. I had never before been there.

Guess what was on the menu?  Yes indeed - Fish and Chips.

Of course I ordered them.  It was a good choice.  The cod-fish was fried to perfection in a crunchy batter. The chips were fabulous -  crisp on the outside and "fluffy" inside,  The sides were O.K. - not bad cole-slaw, and o.k. hush puppies.

(see http://www.kaceysseafood.com/ )

-------------------------------------------------------------

As we ate lunch and chatted Bob said "I am mostly housebound these days". 

Then I "got it".  Bob is restricted in his movements; his horizons get smaller each month.

He has selected me, for whatever reason, to be one of his life-lines to the wider world.   I am honoured.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I promised Bob that I would make the next call, and that lunch would then be my treat at the Oasis Restaurant on South Osprey in SRQ.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose that this is  a "retirement ministry".  I'll take it,  just so long as it comes along with great fish and chips!






No comments:

Post a Comment