I miss my family

When my mother turned 80 (1993) I resolved to visit her in England every year. I just about kept that resolution, except that when she died in 2002 I had not seen her for eighteen months.

Twelve years on I realize how much I miss my family.

Of course I saw many of them in 2009 and that was good. But I did not travel to England for five years after that.

This year (2014) saw me in England again (for my 70th birthday).  I was able to visit with each of my eight siblings, with six of their spouses, with thirteen of my nineteen nieces and nephews, and with twelve  of my great-nieces and nephews. (I love being a great uncle!)

I love them all, but by grace and by happenstance I talk most often with my kid brother Martyn (a kid brother aged 60!), and with my fabulous big sister Maureen  (who was 77 last Sunday).

Dammit, I forgot her birthday!   I made up for this by calling her today. We had a sweet, loving, prayerful and gracious conversation.

When I hung up I got a bit melancholy and  my heart began to ache with the realization of how much I miss my family.

My phantasy is of returning to England after thirty eight years of good life in these United States.

It's a lovely but unrealistic phantasy.

1,  I would have to default, and walk way from my mortgage which is under-water,

2. My pension and social security (good as they are) would be insufficient to enable me to buy/rent an apartment in the U.K., get a car, and live from day to day.

3. What would I do with my good cats Ada and Adelaide, and my best friend and darling dog Penne?

4.  Once in England I would be sure to deeply  miss the scores of good friends I have made in the U.S.A.

-----------------------------------

Mine is a lovely but unrealistic phantasy.  It is deeply rooted in my love for my sibs. and their progeny.

I am grateful to God for this:   I was able to visit with each of my eight siblings, with six of their spouses, with thirteen of my nineteen nieces and nephews, and with twelve  of my great-nieces and nephews. (I love being a great uncle!)

-----------------------------------------------

And there is always "next year".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"