THIS IS GOOD: a follow up on my posting about Penne's rumpus with a dog named Sable.

I wrote this on Povey Prattle a few days ago.

"Sable" is a very nice looking Labradoodle  She walks with her owner a man named V. .......  But he and I know well enough to keep Sable and Penne at a safe distance, since Sable is a bit frisky, and Penne dislikes other female dogs.

V was away recently  (scuba diving in the Cayman Islands).   Sable was being taken care of by a house sitter/dog walker.  I did not immediately recognise the dog since she was not with her owner.

The dog sitter and I exchanged greetings, at a distance of about 4'.  Then Sable lunged at Penne -  so of course Penne lunged back.  Unfortunately Sable got scratched in this ten second kerfuffle.    The dog walker said  "too bad this happened, but Sable was the aggressor".

Now V wants me to pay half of the $500 veterinarian bill. Part of this bill was for the first set of stitches, and the other part because the slight wound had to be re-stitched after Sable bit away the first set of stitches.  (Now whose fault was that?)

Am I responsible for half of the amount?  I think not! 

I will send V. a cheque for a small amount as  a gesture of goodwill, but I am damned if I should feel responsible for half the total.
 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The follow up (and this is good).

On Monday I mailed a cheque for $75 to V, with a letter which said: "this is a goodwill gesture, and not an admission of responsibility".

I saw V this afternoon.  He said  "I will tear up your cheque.  I was so pleased  with your expression of goodwill.  The money is not important".

WOW  so there is neighbourliness after all!

I will respond with a gift to the Sarasota Humane Society in V's honour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"