Root Canal 23rd April: I am fortunate.

I met with Dr. Raul Ortiz, and yes, I do need a root canal.   Before you  "aargh" do note that modern dentistry is remarkably skillful, and that a root canal is to be preferred over an extraction. I do not anticipate pain, simply a bit of discomfort.

I liked Dr. Ortiz, he has a relaxed and gentle manner, and a nice sense of humour. I am confident in his skills.

To root canal has been postponed until 23rd April because on 15th April I will undergo a minor surgical procedure  (nothing even vaguely life-threatening) , which itself will result in a bit of discomfort for about a week.

The dentistry will cost $1,023.  I am fortunate in that my dental insurance will cover 85%, so my co-pay will be about $150.

When I think about the expenses of running a modern endodontics office:  up-to- date equipment, sterilization of instruments, rent, salaries for the dentist's well trained and qualified assistants, and salaries for the staff needed to run the office ( making appointments and follow-up calls, and taking care of billing and insurance reimbursements), plus a bit of money for the endodontist!  I do not think that $1023 is excessive.

I am one of the fortunate who live in a city with an abundance of medical professionals in very field.

I am one of the fortunate who has first class dental insurance.

But I cannot face this procedure without a thought for those who do not have dental insurance; and for those who live in the "medically under served" areas of our cities; and for those who live in rural areas -  far from the nearest clinics and hospitals.  For many of these folks, dental care is an unaffordable luxury.  Their poor dental health leads, of course, to many other health problems.

I am fortunate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"