Phew! (and then some good family stuff)


I had eaten so well yesterday that I decided that a heated bread roll with butter would suffice for breakfast this  morning.

Bad choice!

As I bit into the roll my "partial" denture broke into two pieces.  Oh no!

"Oh no" because

(a) my Dentist's Office  is not open on Fridays.

(b)  I did not want to subsist on soup until Monday.

(c)  I will be giving a public performance in on Sunday.

I went on line and found that a "chain" Dental practice (Aspen Dental) offered in house denture repairs.  I drive to their nearby establishment and arrived soon after the 8:00 a.m. opening time.

The front desk staff advised me that

 (a)  I would have to register with them as a new patient before they would help, and

(b) that I would have to make an appointment, and

(c) their  dental prosthetic technician would not even take a look at the broken partial (to ascertain if it was repairable)  until I had become one of their registered patients.

WOW  (1) such incredible bureaucracy in the corporate  sector and (2) such a missed opportunity for goodwill.

-----------------------------------------------------

Back at home, in demi-semi desperation I called my own Dentist, thankfully to discover that he has an emergency number,  I left a message which explained my predicament

Within half an hour I had a call back telling me that they had made arrangements so I could take the broken partial to a "dental prosthetic"  business (situated less than three miles from my home), and that the repairs would be made almost immediately.

Of course I drove there in haste  (and discovered that the business was run by a delightful husband and wife, he from Basildon, Essex, U.K. and she from the lovely town of Tintern in the Wye Valley -  not far from Bristol, my home town),

By 1:00 p.m. the repair had been effected, and I was able to face the world with a big smile.

I have such gratitude for these immediate responses from small business owners in the non-corporate sector.

I am deeply aware that although I am not  a part of the 1% super-wealthy class,  I am high up in that very small segment of the world's population which has immediate access to vital emergency services. For that I am grateful

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the meantime my family members had a relaxed and lazy morning at their Condo on Crescent Beach. Good for them!  To be relaxed and lazy is at the heart of vacationing/holiday making.

We hooked up for a late lunch at a Sarasota institution, viz

http://www.yodersrestaurant.com

I think of Yoder's as a place for white folks' soul food.

I had liver and onions, with mashed sweet potatoes and fried okra as "sides".

My two brothers in law chose fried chicken - huge amounts of fried chicken!

One sister had meat-loaf. The other had a healthy chicken cutlet with mashed spuds.

It's mostly unhealthy, cholesterol laden, but  entirely tasty food - good for  a "once a year binge",

Yoder's may be O.K. but for excellent food and value for money I prefer my local Alma's

http://www.almasrestaurant.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


After lunch  I took the folks to "Goodwill" on Honore Ave, Sarasota.  British folks would think of it as a one stop  multi-departmental charity shop.  It was an eye-opener for my family members. I often shop there.

John bought some books, Bern bought two pairs of good walking shorts, Jean and Maureen each also bought shorts, all at bargain prices.

Here's a bit about the Goodwill organisation

http://www.goodwill.org


Lastly we drove to "The Mall at University Town Center".  This is a decidedly upscale place -  it opened just over a year ago.

http://www.mallatutc.com/shopping

I have never been in the Mall -  it is simply "not my kind of place"!   Even yesterday I did not go inside.  We were in two cars, ( I was simply "leading the way") so I buggered out of the parking lot as soon as I could.

So why were we there?   Dear Bern had left the power cord for his I-Pad back at his home.  This bothered him a bit.  So, for a moment I was  delighted that we have this upscale Mall  -  for within it is an APPLE STORE.

I knew that Bern would be able to get a cord there.  He did,  And he is delighted.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"