August 15th - an important date for me.

On August 15th 1984 I took up my ministry as Rector at St. Stephen's Parish, Pittsfield, MA
























I was there for sixteen fabulous years, my final "official" date as Rector being August 14th 2000. My heart will always be in Pittsfield and at St. Stephen's.     So much so that my remains will be buried in the Pittsfield Cemetery.



On August 15th 2000 I became the Rector at St. James's Church in Porter Square, Cambridge, MA


















My tenure there lasted for only six years.  It was a tough, exhausting, but  also joyful ministry.  I have all but forgotten the wretched days, and my heart is even now filled with joy as I think of some of the "Saints of God" at St. James's who loved, encouraged, and prayed for me when the going was rough. I thank God for them.  And I will never forget the wonderfully exhilarating  music at St. James's, thanks to our musician, a man of God named Patrick G. Michaels.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why August 15th?

In the Church Calendar it is the day when we remember Mary of Nazareth, the mother of Jesus.

I chose to begin my ministries in Pittsfield and in Cambridge on St, Mary's Day, partly because it would help me to remember the date, but also because the Church is less than it should be when it forgets or disses the ministry of woman -  St. Mary being the chief exemplar.


===========================================================

Here is an early Icon of Mary and Jesus.

How wonderful it is that the Icon depicts Mary and Jesus as dark-skinned -   which they surely were.

.

One of three of Turkey's surviving icons of the Theotokos on the island of Heybeliada at the Theological School of Halki
hate the icons and paintings of Jesus and Mary which depict them as white-skinned, blond haired and blue eyed.  Such racist nonsense,




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"