A Rhyme Which Came to My Mind When I Could Not Sleep.

Sleep eluded me  during the night of May 5/6.

Within ten minutes this rhyme came to mind. It simply came to mind!   (I cannot grace it with the word poem!).  I wrote it down at midnight, lest I should forget it by morning.

I thought of a wife and husband in their late sixties.  They live in an old home in the countryside, a home with a big lawn.

Their marriage is sound, but they still argue away parts of the day.

At the close of the day they reflect at their life in Covid 19 days,  and social isolation.

What else did we do that May?

We walked in the dew, we ate chicken stew.

We argued and fought,  we learned and we taught.

And then,  at the end of the day,

When the curfew bell rang, we held hands and sang

The beautiful songs of our youth.





Historical post card from Leominster, MA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"