Seventeen On a Plane on May 7th 2020

My friends Mary Luti and Anne Minton were marooned in Seville, Spain on account of the pandemic.

They made the very best of their predicament.  Every day Mary wrote utterly delightful accounts of life in that part of Spain during the crisis,  so wonderful that we could believe that we were there too.

About ten days ago they got booking on Madrid-London and London-Boston flights for today.

They held their breath 'cause they had previous set backs with flights cancelled.

The good news is that they are now at home in Massachusetts. Mary wrote that there were but seventeen passengers on the 'plane. Yikes!  For how long can B.A. sustain such flights with the inevitable losses?



When Mary wrote that the flights were for May 7th I responded with "although I do not believe in omens but as 7th May is my mother's birth date I'll take that as a good omen for you!"  Mum came through for Mary and Anne today!


Naturally my family members and I have been thinking about Mum (or Grandma) today.   She was a very great woman.

Born in Lowestoft, Suffolk on 7th May 1912 Mum died in 2001 in Bristol, U.K. at age 89.  




We sang this hymn at Mum's Funeral.  It's a hymn of sincere faith and deep trust in God; a faith and trust which Mum held.

The hymn never crossed the Atlantic, but it was so well known to my generation of singing Christians.  It would probably be considered a bit old fashioned and simplistic these days.

Hymn:  "In Heavenly Love Abiding".

https://youtu.be/oXc04P8d654





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"