What in The Blazes

I was rooting around in one of my lower kitchen cabinets this morning, looking for a blender which I thought had gone AWOL (it was in another cabinet where I had placed it  when I re-organised all my kitchen storage).

But in the rooting around I found an appliance which I'd forgotten I owned.



But for the life of me, I couldn't remember its use.  ( see below)

RHUBARB

I have been on a Rhubarb kick, mostly because I do not often see it in the markets.  

Perhaps you have  seen a photo' of my (in)famous rhubarb crisp.

Today I experimented in cooking and made a rhubarb Crumble (the first time I've made a crumble).with any fruit). 

I grew up enjoying the utterly delicious summer blackberry and apple crumbles made by Mum, or by my my big sister Maureen.

A crumble is a dish that can be made in a sweet or savoury version, although the sweet version is much more common. A sweet variety usually contains stewed fruit topped with a crumbly mixture of fat (usually butter), flour, and sugar.)    Rubbing little bits of butter into the flour/sugar mix is the hard part.



Out of the oven just in time.

As I've previously said, the colours of foods on the dinner plate can make it seem dull and bland, or alive and attractive.    Here is my meal from last Tuesday.


Roasted pepper, sugar snap peas, a wee bit of rib-eye steak, and on the edge of the plate a cucumber salad.

The appliance?   It took me a few minutes to remember that back in the day when I was altogether too fussy about certain matters, I use it to get rid of any wrinkles in my newly washed and dried shirts.    

It's a laundry steamer.   Since I haven't used it in eight or ten years I doubt that now is the time to press it back into service.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"