On An Otherwise Quiet Day

5th May

There was a rap on my front door at about 8:30 a.m.  By the time I opened it I saw a man moving quickly next door.  He had gotten out of a big red SUV which was emblazoned with the word MEDIC

Next door where dear, sweet, dementia afflicted Dawn lives.

About ten minutes later the ambulance arrived.

I did not hang out in the drive way to rubber neck.  Soon both vehicles departed.

Not long after, a hot, bothered, and flustered Jan, Dawn's morning care-giver  arrived at my door.  She could scarcely speak for her anxiety.

"Dawn, Dawn" she cried.  "I can't find her, I've searched the whole house for her". *

I was so relieved to be able to say that to the best of my knowledge Dawn had been taken to the Hospital. (So it was as we found out later).

 There was good cause to be concerned as Dawn has been known to wander.

About a year ago she wandered down the street to Bill's house.  "Help me" she said, "there's a man in my house".  Bill walked her back home, entered her home and cried  "who is here?".  A man emerged from a bedroom. "Who the hell are you? Bill asked.  "And who the hell are you?" the man replied.

Turn out that the "man"  was Dawn's son, visiting from Philadelphia.  Oh the sadness of dementia - stealing the ability to recognise one's nearest and dearest.



In the afternoon I was driving west on Bahia Vista in the right hand turn lane, just four cars short of the Tamiami Trail.  I heard a bang, saw some smoke or dust, and a motor bike sailing through the air and landing on its side on the Trail.

North bound traffic on the Trail stopped and we inched our way on to the Trail.    

In the dead centre of the intersection I saw the rider, flat on his back and apparently motionless.   Some got out of their cars and ran to offer help.  Others parked to look at the scene.   I did neither -  for there was nothing I could do.  As I turned on to the Trail a Police Cruiser and Officers arrived from the north -  within two minutes of the accident - a good coincidence I am certain.

I did not see what had caused the accident; all I saw was a bike on its side, and a man on his back.  No helmet of course.

Dear, dear me.  Motor bikes are a lot of fun, but inherently unsafe.  And I wish we had a Florida law which mandated the wearing of helmets.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"