Pentecost 2011

The beginning of my sermon this morning at All Angels by the Sea, Longboat Key, FL



Nine days ago I was soaring over the Gulf, just off Anna Maria Island.  I could see all of Anna Maria, some of Longboat Key, and all the way up to our gorgeous Sunshine Skyway Bridge.  My youngest brother was visiting me from England, together with his 15 years old son.  We were para-sailing.  What fun.


I noticed that the cord which tethered us and the parachute to the boat had to be strong enough to bear our weight as we were being hauled in, but light enough not to drag us down as we were sailing.

Para-sailing felt  like soaring on the winds of the Holy Spirit. 

And the cord is like the tradition of the church -  light enough to allow the Holy Spirit's freedom, but strong enough so that we are linked to the faith of the Apostles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"