Thursday, 3 October 2013

Fine Dining: Steak and Kidney Pie. Kippers.

I've had a couple of cans/tins of "Fray Bentos" brand Steak and Kidney Pie in my pantry for  "I forget how many" years.

The "use by" date on the cans/tins has never bothered me because I believe the cans are made to survive for centuries  -  in fact I was planning to keep them for the end of the world.

Since we are in yet another "end of the world" crisis in these United States I decided that today was the day to crack open one of them.

Can opened, lid discarded, pie cooked at  450f for 35 minutes on a baking tray in the oven.

Then an utterly delicious lunch Steak and Kidney Pie with Collard Greens.

Anyone care to join me for leftovers?

P.S.  I had kippers for supper, with Five Bean Salad (courtesy "Sam's Club) , and sliced tomatoes.

The kippers also come in a can/tin.  They are smoked by "Bar Harbor Foods"  in the town of Whiting, Maine. 

 
A great day for British ethnic food.

No comments:

Post a Comment