The shortness and uncertainty of human life

"O God, whose days are without end, and whose mercies cannot be Numbered; Make us, we beseech thee, deeply sensible of the shortness and uncertainty of human life

This is an excerpt from a prayer written by the Anglican Theologian and Bishop Jeremy Taylor (BornAugust 15, 1613, Cambridge, England Died: August 13, 1667, Lisburn, Ireland.)  Note that he was just 54 years old when he died,and that he was imprisoned five times when the Puritans/Independents/Separatists ruled the Church roost in the Commonwealth Period in England. 

He knew of what he spoke. It's a good and necessary prayer.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Never more so when we, (but only the relatively prosperous) western Europeans and north Americans, have been seduced into thinking that Medical Science will give us a shot at semi immortality, (whatever the cost).

It ain't necessarily so.  I have been reminded of this as some of my dear friends in their eighties face increasing incapacity.

The shortness and uncertainty of human life came home to me when my brother Stephen died suddenly  at the age of 63, and as I entered my 70's.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some versions of the Anglican Book of Common Prayer told  Ministers to instruct parishioners to make wills. Good advice! I've made my will.

And I have made a Living Will which has appointed  a Health Care Proxy ( who will make decisions should  I be unable able to make my own); paid for the cremation of my remains;  and secured a burial spot.

I live alone in Florida. My family members are in the U.K.  I have spared them a burden.

In addition my Physician and I have signed a "Do Not Resuscitate" order (Florida law demands that this be printed on yellow coloured paper.) I have placed this and other instructions on my fridge door.

I am told that EMT's look at the fridge for such directions, hence the yellow coloured paper.

I do not expect to die soon but I am deeply sensible of the shortness and uncertainty of human life.



On my fridge door.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"