Where shopping WAS a pleasure (OR "Au Revoir "L")






The dominant and all but monopolistic supermarket chain in S.W. Florida is Publix (head-quartered in Lakeland, FL).

Previous readers will know that I am not their greatest fan.

This is because:

1.  I despise monopolies.

2.  They refuse to sign on to the  Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) Fair Food Program.


3.  They push plastic shopping bags:  e.g. cashiers/ check out clerks are mandated to ask "is plastic O.K.?

4.  All too much of the produce is placed on styrofoam trays  covered with plastic wrap ( why, for instance, is it necessary to place (for example)  three Zucchinis on such a tray).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So I am not a a great fan of Publix, except that my local store is smaller than most, enabling me to know many of the staff by  name.

The best has been L....: smart, efficient, joyful and witty. 

She has been the one  reason why some in my neck of the woods have been able affirm that shopping at Publix can be a pleasure.

I have not seen L. in recent days.    I enquired  about her today.

Turns out that her husband has cancer and dementia,so she's had to quit.

So long L., shopping was a pleasure when you worked at my local Publix.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.  I almost forgot to tell you (ha!) that I took Zion (a.k.a. Mr Perfect) to two Nursing Homes today (Jan 25th).  He was a hit!

Maybe he and I have a new ministry.  After all, DOG is GOD  spelled in reverse.

Stock photo', not Mr. Perfect




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"